Sunday, April 19, 2009

Here are some more pictures from our trip to the petroglyphs. This hawk greeted us after we had just got through the gate. Fortunately the camera was handy, although he took off pretty quickly.

This looks very much like it might have been used for a cooking pot, or perhaps a pit to put some hot coals in for cooking. It was about a foot across.

This looks like it could be a boat. Since this is really close to the water, it is quite likely.

This was the beginning and the end of the sunset. Sunsets here are really quick and early, by about 6 o'clock. The actual sunset lasts about a minute and is yellow, and not much pink. Still beautiful though in the way the sun catches the clouds.
Today was a very successful shopping day, after a pretty lousy day yesterday trying to figure out how to get our taxes done in a timely fashion and being let down by numerous types of technology, including my brain. However, today I explored the top floor of the City Centre mall and found to my delight a very well stocked art supply store with fabric paint, silk paint and dyes - mostly from Germany. All kinds of sketchbooks, paints, paper etc. everything you could ever want. Also I found a book shop, not huge, but with a great selection of different types of fiction and non fiction. I bought a book on shopping in Doha and a childrens book for my grandson and a how to book on writing arabic, together with a cd to listen to it spoken. It is a very very beginner book. I had already been given some great books, but this one is like a kindergarten one, which is more my brain level. I have already been trying to learn my numbers which is made easier by the fact that on car license plates they have both the arabic and western numbers so it is easy to compare the two. So when we are stuck in a traffic jam, it becomes a number learning experience
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment