Sunday, January 19, 2014

Module 1 - Chapter 2

This chapter is all about painting and printing papers - being a somewhat messy person, I found this particularly challenging.  Somehow the paint never goes on evenly or else you try to make it blotchy and artistic and it just looks a bit of a mess.  Still, I have now made copious amounts of paper in varying thickness.   Of course my favourite is tissue paper - since it is reminiscent of organza, I suppose this should not be a surprise.  So far I have not used any of the tissue paper, but will look forward to using some perhaps in the next chapter.

Printing is also challenging of course, a bit like Goldilocks - too little paint, or too much, hard to get it "just right".  Still, the more I did, the more control I had; less I found was much more.

Then of course there is the making of the stamps - something I really enjoy.  Mostly I made way too many stamps because you just don't know how they will turn out.  Too simplistic and they are boring, too detailed and they just don't work.  So - on to the pictures.

A- Making Coloured Papers
Picture 1 - Red plus colours either side - reddy orange and violet

Picture 2 Green and colours either side, Lime and Turquoise
 
B - Printing onto Coloured Papers                                                                                               

Picture 3 - stamping all the same direction

Picture 4 - same direction but closer together

Picture 5 - stamp rotated 

Picture 6 - rotated  by quarter turns

Picture 7 - blank spaces between stamping
 (my personal favourite being a less is more type of person)
 
C - Cross Shapes from Coloured Papers                                                                                 

Picture 8 -
Crosses cut from different coloured papers and overlapped or interwoven.
 
(I think the middle one could have some applications, it turned out to stay together when woven slightly. My favourite is still the crossed vine on the simple turquoise cross, just with one arm of the top cross tucked under)

Picture 9 - Different Cross Shapes cut from complementary red paper and glued onto green.  
 
(I love the flowered cross from a photo I took in Quebec City, but it was very fiddly to do, but worth the effort I felt.  I still like my crossed branches and lichen the best, but they may be difficult to use in a lot of circumstances.  I made stamps of them, so will have to play around with them a bit further.  I think I went the "safe" route with the stamp I chose and perhaps should be a bit more adventurous but time was short this week.  I will play around with them a bit more and add my findings to the next post)

No comments:

Post a Comment