Monday, June 23, 2014

MODULE 1, CHAPTER 10


MAKING RIPPLES
CHENILLE OR SLASHED REVERSE APPLIQUE

A few different drawings of possible designs


1a


1b

1c

2. Slashing outside the design

3. Slashing inside the design


OPTIONAL MELTING SECTION


Test 1a



Test 1b


Test 2a

I really thought from Test 1a that the thickness of the velvet would work well, but it actually did not turn out as well as expected.  It might have been better with fewer layers to counteract the thickness.


Test 2b

This was definitely easier to work with as I used thinner layers of organza or more lightweight fabrics.


TRANSLATING A DESIGN USING A SOLDERING IRON


3

I think this is quite effective.  The green layer was able to be burnt as well, but it was a little thicker than the other layers so could act as a blocker.  The colour of the bottom cotton fabric was bright enough to show up well.  The whole effect though was a little more like "plastic" than I would have liked and I think another time I would use less layers.



2 comments:

  1. Interesting process, Wendy. I must confess I like the softer edges of cut-back samples; I agree that many fabrics -- especially synthetic -- when melted, tend to be a bit hard-edged and plasticky (is that a word?! ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely plasticky whether it is a word or not !

    ReplyDelete