Wednesday, August 6, 2014

MODULE 1 - CHAPTER 11 - PART 3

RESOLVED SAMPLE - GROWTH AND DISINTEGRATION
FOURTH THOUGHTS - STITCHED SHAPES


Trial samples using machine stitching in same colour thread as ground fabric to make each shape look thinner, smaller and less solid.
1a. 

1b.

1c.

1d.



Same exercise but using hand stitching, in this case I used seed stitching.

2a.

2b 
  I must confess that in this sample it is not all my own handiwork. I had taken the sample with me to stitch at our Calgary Folk Festival.  A wonderful time sitting on our blankets and chairs in the sun, listening to music and stitching.  This year our daughter and 4 year old grandaughter came with us and as soon as I bring out any knitting or stitching, my grandaughter immediately wants to "help".  She stitched several of these stitches and I was taken by how well she did using a hoop and really a quite small sharp needle.  The only extra safety precaution was to tie the thread to the needle as she hadn't mastered holding the thread at the same time as pulling the needle and I didn't want her to lose the needle.  She was very careful and only needed a little help with placement of the needle.  I think we may have a developing needlewoman in our midst! Children always amaze me how they can use adult tools really well once they are taught how and shown the safe way to use them.  It was a joyful day!

2c

2d

I really liked the way the seed stitching worked and although it is more time consuming than machine stitching, I am always pleased with the result of hand stitching.  It is rhythmic, meditative and portable.

No comments:

Post a Comment