Monday, April 28, 2014

MODULE 1 - CHAPTER 3 (part 6)

CUT AND FOLD DESIGNS IN COLOURED PAPERS
 
a) ASYMMETRY - LAYERS OF SYMMETRICALLY CUT PAPER SHAPES
 
 
 
 
b) LAYERS OF ASYMMETRICALLY CUT PAPER SHAPES
 
 
 
c) ASYMMMETRY - LAYERS WITH NEGATIVE PAPER SHAPES

I used a left over black shape to see how it would look.  I also cropped the shape to fit at an asymmetric angle. I really like the pop the black makes


 
These two shapes used some negative shapes and then I cropped the shapes to fit the squares
 
Again, you could go on for weeks cutting, recutting and playing with shapes, as it is such a fun exercise and it is so surprising to see how the asymmetric shapes turn out - some of them are really interesting, well, they are all interesting, just useful for different applications I guess.  I surprised myself in enjoying the coloured cut outs as much as the black and white ones, although I had to dig out some different backgrounds papers to make enough contrast.  Using the multicoloured papers in all of them made them too similar - rather like making mud with mixing paints.  Making sure the backgrounds were more a single colour set off the multicoloured papers in a more pleasing way, I felt.
 

2 comments:

  1. While I was quite struck by the wonderful complexity of your black and white work (Chapter 4, Parts 1-4), I am even more intrigued with the coloured layers. The coloured sample that drew me most was the first of the 'b' samples -- layers of asymmetrically cut paper shapes. I was fascinated by the contrast in both size and colour. Thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margaret - I am always surprised when doing these exercises, which ones work better than others. I am trying not to have preconceived ideas!

    ReplyDelete