Saturday, May 2, 2009


This is the door to my drawing class in the souq. Aren't they lovely doors? There were several different nationalities of expats taking the class with me, which makes it very interesting. Judging by their drawing, most had had some experience. We started with doing various exercises to learn our tools but the exercise I have a picture of below was completely new to me. We had to scribble the shape of the vase one was the inside shape and the other the negative space. We had to scribble it from side to side and not do the outline. It was quite interesting as after a bit your brain shut off and you started to see it as volume. It was surprisingly hard to do. Several of the exercises were hard, so I think it will be a really good class. We even have homework to do - a drawing a day at least, does this sound familiar to my Articulation friends?



Yesterday was Derek's day off but it was so hot that we decided we would do what every other person in doha seems to do and that was to go to the mall! We went to one I hadn't been to before, called Villagio. In the centre of the mall there is a canal with gondolas you can hire. The place was crazily busy as there also seem to be a lot of sales on now. The ice rink was packed with kids on skates, I had no idea ice skating as as popular as it seems to be. There are ice rinks in several of the malls. These lights were on the way to the mall. I have never seen any like this before. Half the lights point in one direction and the other in the other. We came home at night and they dont seem to be terribly practical, but they certainly look effective.


This was just beside the mall where there seems to be a park area. It is as tall as a tall high rise and in the dark it has a screen on it showing ads. This was used as the torch in the Asian games that were held here a few years ago. They are like Calgary in that they were very proud of holding these games and there are lots of references to them with monuments and sports arenas. I believe they are hoping to get the Olympics and they certainly have the facilities to back up their bid and the money to carry them off. Apparently the flame was lit with a horseman carrying the torch to the top of the tower. Dont know how that was done, but it must have been spectacular.


This is the inside scribbling of my jug. I can just see this done in machine embroidery! maybe I do need a sewing machine after all, they are fairly inexpensive at the grocery store! Anyway, as you can see, it is really had to get the sides symetrical and she kept telling us to go slowly.

Before the class, I went early and got the taxi to drop me off at the fabric souk to poke around and buy some white silk for dyeing. It was a big nerve racking as bartering is not in my nature, but I did buy some and I did bargain a little, but I am sure I paid too much. It seemed really cheap, so I will have to do a test to see if it really is silk. I am told everyone is really honest here, so I am hoping so.

Getting home was a whole other experience. Taxis here are a real problem. Getting to places seems to be easy as there is a taxi stand at the local mall a block away. However, getting back is next to impossible. All the taxis you see are full, that is if you see any at all. Even at the souk, they do not allow taxis and so you have to go out to a neighbouring street to hail one. After my class, it was noon and over 42 degrees. No taxis stopped and I walked over to the corniche in the hopes of seeing some - walking home was not an option in these temperatures. Then I realized I was close to a bus stop and sure enough in a few minutes, along came a bus. It only cost $1 and it stopped right by my building. I was the only woman and a man stood up and let me have the front seat and even took my money and handed it to the driver for me. Very nice of him. I rarely see women on the busses, but they come frequently, they go to the places I want to go, and they are cheap. So I will certainly use them for my classes and getting to the souq and the museum. However, tomorrow is my stitch group and I am trying a limousine service for that. I am told they are not always reliable, but her house in not too far from a big hotel so figure I could always get a taxi there or I know one of the ladies would take me home if I am in a bind. However, it will be one more learning experience. Lets hope it works out all right then I can go further afield and be more adventurous. There are lots of places I want to explore as long as I have the transportation thing figured out.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment: