Thursday, May 14, 2009


This is a little fish shop that we went to last week. It is just like a fish and chip shop as far as the decor is concerned and was on a little back street. However, I think this could become a really favourite place of ours. The fish is laid out as you see, in ice. You then pick out which fish you want and then you pick one of the numbered pictures above to choose the way in which you want it cooked. We went with a bunch of people and so there were a variety of choices of how they were done. We got to taste a number of them and each one was better than the one before. So I can see we will have to go back a lot of times to work our way along the list of flavours! Next time, we wont start with the soup as we just got too full. However, the soup was full of clams, fish, shrimp and crab legs like a bouillibase - a meal in itself.



I was waiting for a friend to pick me up in front of the building the other day, so thought I would take a quick picture. sometimes this bush is loaded with flowers and other days not. However, I have never seen a dead flower yet, the place is immaculately kept.



I went to the souq for my drawing class today and as usual I went on the bus. Sometimes the bus comes within a couple of minutes of me getting to the bus stop and sometimes it takes so long I have to get a cab to make it to class on time. Today the bus came early so had some time to waste before class, so went to the falcon shop on the way. There was only one lonely falcon there today as the owner said the season has finished and wont start again until the fall. There are rows of hoods made of leather for the falcons. Some are quite ornate and he wanted to sell me one as a souvenir but so far I have resisted. But they really are works of art and I suspect I will come home with a souvenir before long!



For my "arty" friends, this is what we drew today. Quite a change from my other art class, where we were encouraged to draw large and free with charcoal. In this class, we spend a long time drawing the same thing, refining it again and again - this took at least an hour if not more. Smudging to get shadows is not allowed - it is all to do with the different hardness of pencils and crosshatching. I was really very pleased with this. So much to learn - so little time. I came back in a taxi with one of my classmates whose husband works with Derek and lives nearby - so that was nice. Everyone is very friendly in the class. Some of them are doing amazing drawings. I think I will take the painting class next - but dont know if I will have to wait until fall. These are beautiful shoes, but I wouldn't want to walk in them!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Wendy

    I am continuing to enjoy your pictures and comments. Keep on blogging, please.

    Be well
    Pat

    ReplyDelete